5 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your CE Trainings
by: Joseph Tropper, MS, LCPC, Senior Presenter
Therapists are required by state law to attend continued education classes in order to upkeep their license. For some people this is just a price they pay every two years. At Core Wellness, we have another approach. We see the continued education as an opportunity for self-development and learning tools that will transform your client interactions. Below is a list 5 ways to maximize your gain when attending a workshop.
- Choose Cool Topics and Presenters: Look at your options and choose topics and presenters that meet your interests. Sign up for the title, topic or presenter that piques your interest as you will be more engaged. Plan ahead so that you don’t have to cram and just take what there is!
- Get Comfortable – Arrive on time so that you can choose your preferred seat. Look at the weather and come up with a plan of what you will do if the room is too hot or too cold. Bring your own pen and paper, supplies and healthy snacks just so you fully prepared and don’t end up munching on junk food and snacks the entire time. This is your training and you are here to learn and have a good time!
- Ask Questions – Topic presenters are experts in their field and have much to share with you. Don’t be shy, speak up and share your questions and comments. If you are nervous about speaking in public, you are normal. This is your opportunity to break through your shyness. Many people are often thinking the questions that you shared and they will be grateful that you spoke up. The presenter will keep track of time, so don’t worry about throwing off the program. Good presenters actually leave time and look forward to the learning that it leads to.
- Take Notes – But don’t go overboard. For some people, taking notes helps them concentrate and take in the material. We recommend just taking basic notes and coming up with one or two sentences per hour of class which will form your take away. This will give you something solid, a quote, an idea, a technique, something to use in the office the next day.
- Network – Take the opportunity to meet other professionals and use the breaks and class time to learn new perspectives. Although this may seem to be secondary to the class itself, for many this is a large part of the learning experience. We have seen many job and connections made this way, between presenters and co-participants as well.
With these small tweaks, your CE trainings can greatly enhance your clinical skills and add to your expertise.
Core Wellness offers dynamic and fascinating live/webinar, home study trainings and awesome subscription packages from engaging and passionate professionals who are leaders in their field. Check out our newest offerings and learn why we are a premier provider in the field.